Grace Wilson graduated in 1931 from the College of Engineering with a degree in Architecture. She became a faculty member in 1946. In that year, there were fourteen women enrolled in the College of Engineering (and 2,961 men). Apart from a dip in the early 1950s, the number of women students increased steadily throughout Grace’s career, and at the time of her retirement in 1973, 73 women were enrolled, along with 2,964 men. One of Grace’s most important contributions to students at Illinois was the establishment of the Society of Women Engineers chapter. The Illinois Society of Professional Engineers established the Grace Wilson Award to recognize the outstanding female student in the College of Engineering.
Skip back to main navigation